The secret recipe to turning your food-tech app into a primary growth engine lies in delivering lasting mobile app user experiences. Engaging users with relevant contextual nudges & walkthroughs during different stages of their in-app journey eventually leads them to place repareated orders.
This blog helps you identify the key nudges & walkthroughs that should be deployed right from onboarding to engagement to re-engagement to retention, to optimize funnel conversions and craft user experiences that customers want and expect.
Stages of the user journey:
First time user
Mobile apps need to focus on cooking a differentiated first time app user experience and quickly get them accustomed to the app and it’s features. Communicating the app’s value proposition at the beginning, helps deliver the ‘aha moment’ to it’s user’s right at the start. Here are some simple use cases of contextual nudges & customers to drive user engagement:
- Nudge first time users to sign up to earn bonus points.
- Nudge users to complete their profile – add home address/office address/save payment method and more, to place their first order easily
- Nudge users with a tool-tip, to fill in their location/pin to see restaurants available nearby
- Highlight the various cuisine options with a spotlight
- Nudge users to check out deals/offers on popular restaurants
- Nudge users to check out available coupons or offers available on selected payment methods
- Educate users on gift vouchers which they can redeem on their first order
Placing these nudges contextually, helps deliver a smooth informational onboarding experience. Nudging the user at the moment of ‘high intent’ and helping them realize the value of your product (or simply, how your app spells convenience and ease) in their initial experience, reduces the time taken by users to place their order. It also further gives a boost to the D0 retention rates.
Active user (browses restaurants → adds items to the cart)
Here, we will talk about those set of users who have been active on your app for some period of time but may not necessarily be placing orders. There are some common points where users tend to drop-off, like, simply browse restaurants or dishes and stop there, add certain items to the cart but eventually abandon the cart, or at times drop-off at the payment page. These are signs of users who might churn. That’s why it’s extremely important to deploy timely, relevant and contextual nudges at these points to help retain your users and further engage them on the app in the most relevant way. Here are a few such nudges, you must implement:
- If a user is checking out restaurants, highlight the filter option (like veg/non-veg) on the restaurants page so that users can easily find what they’re looking for
- Nudge users to browse the menu option to check out their favourite dishes
- Highlight the bestsellers of the restaurant with a spotlight to help users choose better
- Put a tool-tip on the search icon and nudge users to search for their favorite dish
- Highlight the top weekly deals
- If a user has added an item to the cart, nudge them to add more items to unlock exciting offers/discounts like “Add items worth Rs 60 to unlock coupon SPL20 to enjoy flat 20% discount on your order”
- If a user has added certain items and is about to drop-off then highlight a last minute offer saying “Coupon expires in 4 hrs, order now to avail discount” (spotlight on the page and the message appears then)
The right nudges at the right time, not only help mobile apps reduce funnel drop offs but also help increasing – feature adoption for critical features, coupon adoption rate, average cart/order value and an overall boost in conversion rates.
Converted users (frequent orders)
These are a set of users who have displayed a good amount of app stickiness and tend to come back to you repeatedly. Not only are they power users but they’re also the ones who will spread a positive word of mouth for your app. With the hyper-personalized and hyper-contextual nudges & walkthroughs, you can turn converted users into app advocates.
- If a user has repeatedly ordered a particular dish, nudge them to add it to their favourites
- Highlight top offers based on the user’s preference and order history
- Nudge users to buy pro/membership to avail free delivery, buy 1 get 1 offers and other discounts. You can choose to show a walkthrough where a series of nudges directs users to click on the account/profile section, followed by the upgrade button that lands them on the benefits page and now users are just a click away to subscribe. Or you could simply nudge users to add the subscription to their cart during checkout. Whatever you choose, it has to be the one that would be most relevant at that point in time.
- Nudge users to share the app with their friends and win redeemable reward points
- Nudge users to add restaurants (possibly the ones they’ve ordered from frequently or the one that got an excellent rating) to their favourites list
- When users are idle on screen for >5s, nudge them to check their favourite/bookmarked restaurants to place the next order
- Using the NPS/Survey nudge, encourage users to rate delivery and restaurant food
These nudges help re-engage users, increase retention rates, boost up-sell and cross sell and also increase app installs by referrals.
Contextual nudges & walkthroughs help deliver app experiences that users remember. Nudging users to sign up, search for their favourite restaurants/dishes or even upgrade their account to avail exclusive offers is aimed at delivering a seamless in-app user experience that boosts long-term retention and customer loyalty.
With Netcore Product Experience Platform, deploying contextual nudges & walkthroughs is made much easier by:
- An absolutely no-code way of implementing contextual nudges & walkthroughs in just 15 minutes
- Robust segmentation engine to nudge the right user at the right time
- No worry of app releases
To know more about this, talk to our product experience experts today!