As much as 30% of marketers worldwide believe that email reaps the highest ROI among all marketing channels.
But as technology evolves, so do customers. They get bombarded with messages from every platform on the digital landscape, and their attention becomes severely fragmented.
While customers block or ignore irrelevant marketing communication, they reward the brands if the messaging is meaningful, relevant, and appropriate. However, studies show that email still remains the most effective marketing channel.
A surefire way to create affinity for your email communication is personalization. This article will give you the email style overview 101 and explain why it is a must-have for any brand to distinguish itself and be memorable to its customers.
What is email personalization?
Email personalization is a strategy that adds personal content to marketing emails, based on the recipient’s browsing patterns, purchase history, and interactions with a brand. Email personalization aims to make it seem like brands individually create each email for every recipient.
Segmenting a brand’s audience based on their behavior/traits helps marketers create emails that connect better with the target recipients. Instead of sending generalized emails to everyone and hoping that some would respond, email personalization ensures customer engagement by specifically catering to their preferences and needs in the messaging.
For example, say, some customers purchased cake ingredients and moulds. Personalized emails can be sent to that specific set, nudging them to bake a fantastic cake by getting a book on “The world’s 20 most-loved cake recipes’.
Here are a few quick stats that should get you curious about email personalization:
- Personalized email marketing generates a median ROI of 122%.
- Personalized calls to action convert 202% better than default calls to action.
- 55% of surveyed consumers like email messages with relevant products/offers.
- Segmented, personalized, and targeted emails generate 58% of all revenue.
Why personalize marketing emails?
- Your audience is perpetually overwhelmed with messages from different brands (some of which are your competitors). After a point, most messages get shut out as white noise. Email personalization is necessary to draw customers’ attention to your messaging and hold onto it.
- Wouldn’t you be more likely to open and read an email if it addressed you by name? Personalization automatically drives up engagement, compared to mass emails. When you go a step further and tailor the email content to the recipient’s personality and preferences, you stand the best chance of engaging them and getting a positive response.
- It’s logical that increased customer engagement leads to increased customer retention and reduced unsubscribe rates. Personalized emails make people feel like they are being spoken to directly. Customers would never abandon a brand that makes efforts to reach out, understand, and cater to them as individuals.
Personalized emails make customers feel like they matter. If customers believe you’re listening to them and are trying to respond to their wants, they will be loyal to your brand. However, it is impossible to manually create tailored, personalized emails for millions or even thousands of recipients.
Personalization at scale
Personalization at scale refers to creating different experiences for different customers – depending on their individual tastes, preferences, and interests. The “at scale” part means that marketers create unique experiences for every customer, no matter how many are in the database.
For example, why not send people who have just signed up a “welcome to our site” discount email to build a positive first impression of your brand? Or, how about discount emails based on customers’ order value: 10% for spending less than $500, 20% between $500 and $1500, and so on?
Despite being part of an at-scale email exercise, personalization ensures that each recipient feels like the email has been customized for them. For you, the process is automated using AI and machine learning at the backend.
You get to create a personal relationship with every customer at a fraction of the cost and effort required to do it manually. No more mass-produced, one-size-fits-all emails that usually get ignored or at worse, marked as spam.
Ace the email personalization game with Netcore
With decades of experience in establishing better customer relationships and accelerating engagement, Netcore knows precisely what your brand needs regarding email personalization.
Our in-house AI powers complex algorithms and machine learning that help you create personalized emails your customers love to engage and interact with. We’ll help you shape personalized email campaigns that drive conversion and give you the best possible ROI.
- Seize their attention by addressing them by name. Add your user’s name to subject lines and content to grab their eye in crowded inboxes.
- Reduce instances of abandoned carts with personalized reminders. Automatically send personalized abandoned cart emails with graphical email flow creation tools.
- Use exclusive offers to amp up sales. Send personalized discount codes for related products to boost sales and increase the average purchase value.
For over two decades, we’ve been walking the talk. Take a quick look at the many success stories we’ve brought to life with customers like Thomas Cook, BigBasket, airasia, and more.
Connect with us to understand how you can benefit from our expertise and experience – we send over 20 billion emails a month on behalf of businesses across 18 countries.